Has anyone ever asked you that question?
We spend hours upon hours doing things that drain us… I love being a mom, but I can’t truly say that changing diapers, nursing, cleaning & cooking necessarily FILLS my tank.
My husband recently shared with me this concept he learned at a conference:
The more we do things that drain us, the LESS we tend to do things that actually fill us.
For example, let’s say that I have two weeks until a presentation for a grad school project. I inadvertently say to myself “I do not have time to do ‘other’ things… I need to spend all remaining time I have left on this project.”
What ends up happening is ALL of my time gets spent on something that drains me. So how am I being filled up?
When we are over-exerting ourselves on things that drain us, we must then do EVEN MORE things that fill us so that we’re not running on empty.
Ask yourself this question: “what fills my tank?”
What gives me energy? What fills me with joy? What gives me peace? What makes my day more exciting?
The more time I spend doing things that drain me, the more time I NEED to spend doing things that fill me.
As for my practice in healthy living, here are 10 things I’ve found that fill my tank:
- Hanging out with friends– Nothing fills my tank more than time with people I love and care about. I’ve learned that this is absolutely vital for me. Whether it’s in a large group or good quality one-on-one time… I treasure my friendship time.
- Yoga- My favorite type of workout. I love the building of my strength & flexibility through Vinyasa.
- Reading- I love all sorts of books… I love learning… I love being swept away in a fantastical story and leaving reality for a little bit.
- Writing– I’m an external processor. And supposedly, my number one strength is communication… so naturally, I love expressing myself & articulating thoughts/ideas… writing gives me an outlet for all of this.
- The Coffee Shop- I get to do the previous two here completely distraction-free. I highly prefer doing those two loves at the coffee shop rather than at home. Plus there’s that rich smell of coffee… mmmmmm
- The Beach- There’s something I find truly majestic & calming about the ocean and being right by the water. Walking by the water gives me immense peace.
- Languages & Travel– most people don’t know this about me, but I actually speak four languages. Well sort of… I’m fluent in English & Farsi (I learned Farsi first), and I’m conversational in French & Italian. I actually tutored students in Italian while I was a student at UC Davis. I absolutely love learning new languages. They are all so beautiful in their own way. And something really excites me about being able to converse with people of different tongues & cultures… If I could do anything else with my life, I would probably just spend it learning languages and travelling.
- Disney/Disneyland- Well… what can I say? I grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year since I was 4 years old. It’s my childhood love. The place is filled with happy families and incredibly joyful children. My favorite thing: During the firework show, while the finale is happening, turn around and look at all the faces in the crowd… HUGE SMILES and BEAMING faces… it’s heartwarming.
- Children- sounds creepy, but it’s not… children warm my heart. There’s something so innocent & beautiful about every single child. I just love them. And now that I have one of my own… I want so many more!
- Teaching- I’ve had little tastes of teaching here & there… I tutored in college. I spent a year as a teacher in a private high school. I spent a year teaching children’s ministry… I recently got an opportunity to teach the adults at church on Sunday. I think I’ve found a passion.
Try this exercise: List 10 things that drain your tank. Then list 10 things that fill your tank. Try to incorporate more “filling” activities into your routine.