Ok, everyone, get ready because I am really excited about this recipe.
To get things started, I’ll begin by saying this:
—I’m considering trying the Paleo diet for a month.
Ever heard of it? I hadn’t until recently. As most of you know, I’ve been desperate to change my & my family’s eating habits after learning to read labels more carefully… I am now understanding how much of said items are ok to have… I’m understanding what ingredients are absolutely NOT ok to have… and also learning which terms are regulated by the FDA & which are not (hint: the term “all natural” is not regulated… so beware).
My husband, although often thinks I’m being ‘over the top’ about healthy foods, agreed to try the paleo diet with me in a month or two after 1. I get a job (healthy foods are expensive, so filling our pantry with things like coconut oil & almond flour will cause an increase in our grocery budget) and 2. We’ve had time to prepare and read up.
Until we start the actual paleo diet, I tried cooking a paleo dessert (&/or breakfast) to get us started.
First of all… look at it:
I just made this yesterday and already love it.
A few things to know:
- There is no sugar in this recipe. I repeat: there is no sugar in this recipe!
Want it know what’s used to sweeten it? Dates. Just dates. & a few other fruits are thrown in as toppings (berries & bananas).
- Her pictures are better than mine. I don’t have cute mini mason jars to show the layers of the parfait, but go to http://www.againstallgrain.com to get a better idea of what it looks like and about the paleo diet.
I absolutely love it and am SO excited to have found something delicious that is also healthy.
Paleo Chia & Almond Pudding Parfait
By: Danielle Walker – AgainstAllGrain.com
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 6 ounces pitted dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup unsalted, natural almond butter
- 1 cup mixed berries of choice
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- Combine almond milk, dates, cacao powder, chia seeds, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt in a blender. Blend until very smooth, about two minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To assemble the parfaits: Divide the banana slices between six 8-ounce Mason jars or bowls. Spoon equal amounts of almond butter into the jars, then top with equal amounts of the chilled pudding. Top with berries and almonds and serve immediately or refrigerate covered for up to three days.
Nutritional data (per 1 serving)