This is the second time I made Mac ‘n Cheese from scratch. The first time I made it (using a different recipe), it came out awful. This one was AMAZING.
A few thoughts:
- I already had all the ingredients in my pantry… SCORE!
- It was so so SO easy to make.
- It tasted delicious.
- I’m sure there are ways to make it even TASTIER. But it’s delicious as is.
Here’s the recipe I found and tweaked slightly. Some notes & additions I would make:
**Buy a block of cheddar cheese & shred it, so that it’s fresh
**Cook bacon, chop it up & throw it in (at the end)
**With the bacon, add frozen peas (to bring in a vegetable component)
**For a personal kick, add hot sauce (to your own, individual bowl, not the whole pot)
Homemade Mac & Cheese
- 16 oz uncooked Macaroni
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until tender.
- Transfer macaroni to colander to drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan and add flour.
- Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes stirring constantly to make a roux.
- Gradually add in a milk, whisking until smooth.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly until you reach desired consistency.
- Add in shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the melted and smooth.
- Add drained macaroni to sauce and stir until coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Slightly adapted from: http://cincyshopper.com/easy-stovetop-mac-cheese/