I’ve been trying out healthier recipes recently for two reasons:
- My sweet tooth is seriously out of control and I’m desperate for recipes that cut either fat, sugar or both.
- I decided to try a VBAC for my next delivery! It’s not totally related, but I want to be as healthy as possible for it… along with kicking up my exercise routine, I definitely need to adjust my eating habits. And I’ll start with my desserts.
Here are, not one, but TWO new recipes I’ve discovered that I already love and feel good about eating. A quick gist:
Choco & PB Chia Bars (on the left): healthy little bars with a ton of protein (note, PB & chia seeds). You can make these as you wish. There is no sugar in these… just dates are used to sweeten it 🙂
Vegan Choco Crunch Bars (on the right): These are like little chocolate bars that taste kind of like a crunch bar. The sweetener used in these is maple syrup & the fat used is coconut oil (great substitutes)!
Choco & PB Chia Bars
- 1 cup pitted, whole dates (about 9-10)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (or any nuts & dried fruit… I would suggest trying with raisons, dried cranberries, or even chocolate chips to add some yum)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all ingredients to food processor and process until the ingredients break down and become a mostly cohesive mixture. You will still have little pieces of peanuts remaining, and the consistency of the mixture should hold together when you press it together.
- Line a rimmed dish with parchment paper and press mixture into it, leaving your desired thickness. I used only about half of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish as I didn’t have a smaller dish available.
- Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before slicing. Store bars in the refrigerator.
recipe slightly adapted from: http://www..com/2016/03/15/chocolate-peanut-butter-chia-bars/
Vegan Choco Crunch Bars
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of rice cereal
- pinch of salt
- Melt coconut oil with cacao powder in small saucepan on low heat. Add maple syrup, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- In a bowl, mix rice cereal and chocolate mixture so rice cereal is completely covered and mixed well.
- Line a 9X5 bread pan with parchment paper. Pour in rice cereal and chocolate mixture. Level into a even layer.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes until completely set.
- Lift parchment paper out of pan and separate the bar from paper. Cut into bars and enjoy! Keep in freezer so chocolate stays set.
recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.servedfromscratch.com/chocolate-crunch-bars-vegan/