I’ve been looking for a quality oatmeal recipe that all 3 Kwok’s would love and I think I found it. This serves about 3 people and whatever you have left can easily be stored for the following morning.
When I made this, I sort of just threw things together. And then as I began to write out the recipe for you all, I had to “guess-timate” measurements (for the last 5 ingredients), so I hope those portions are accurate! Either way, it’s hard to go wrong with this. It was delicious and full of protein (note: milk, oats, almond butter). As you can see, I’ve been getting a kick out of my almond butter. If anyone knows of a place that sells it cheaper than $7/jar let me know 🙂
Chocolatey Almond Oatmeal
- 2 C whole milk (or any kind of milk)
- 1.5 C rolled oats
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 4 tsp almond butter
- a dash of cinnamon
- pinch (or two) of salt
- Pour milk into a small or medium pot, place over stove & put on med/high heat.
- When milk starts to bubble, turn heat down to low and add the rolled oats, stirring frequently so that milk & oats don’t burn.
- When oatmeal is ready (you can tell because the milk will be mostly absorbed), remove from heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, almond butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt until incorporated.**remember that cinnamon is strong and you don’t want to add too much or else it becomes over-powering… I don’t know what ‘a dash’ is numerically, but it felt like the most accurate wording. Just add a little at a time.